Michael got home from Germany without a hitch, though thanks to a certain guy riding back with them, he got home 2 hours later than previously planned. Someone just had to go to the PX and walk in circles while the guys waited for him in the van. Thanks, dude. Because of you, Michael got home just after Jericho had gone to bed. And he stayed up an hour later. Anyway, while Michael was in Germany, he purchased a little device that would certainly prove to make our lives easier: a Navigon GPS. He was so excited to use it, he offered to take me to Nove. Yeah, you heard that right - Michael offered to take me to Nove. Willingly. It's almost difficult to type, it's so unheard of. I've been several times but never by myself. But this magical electronic mapping system with the voice of an angel (we've named her Becky) has given me the confidence I need to get to Ceramic Heaven alone. Uninterrupted. I can smell the VBC from here, and it's calling my name...slowly but surely, I'm getting out on my own. Jericho and I are taking our own baby steps.
After that quick trip, we came home and started looking at places to go during the day, maybe stay overnight. That's how the trip to Pisa and Florence came to be. I hadn't seen the Leaning Tower yet, and it was on my "list" even though I'd heard from several people that it's really not all that spectacular. We decided to head down for Easter weekend, leaving Friday and coming back Saturday evening, since Michael had a 4-day weekend. The drive was beautiful, even at 100 miles an hour on the Autostrada all I could do was sit and look with my jaw wide open. Such gorgeous countryside! We found our hotel right on the water, reminding me of Wilmington with its quiet, picturesque atmosphere. After getting our bags up and changing a dirty diaper, we hopped back in the car to find the Tower. 15 minutes later - 10 of which were spent finding a parking space and trying to fit into said parking space - we found it! And yep, it still leans! I can't say it was as breathtaking as I expected, but I was in awe nonetheless. I think part of the reason why it's not-so-spectacular is that there are a lot of people laying in the grass nearby, reading, talking and playing with young children, like they're in Central Park. They seemed to make it a more relaxed experience, like it was no big deal that they were 100 meters away from a fascinating piece of history. There were a lot of people "posing" with the Tower; putting their hands up like they were holding the Tower in place. And of course there was the typical row of souvenir vendors, where I spotted a cute red purse that looks nice on my shoulder now. I picked up a few more things - Granny, your Pisa coffee mug will be in the mail soon - and a Sprite, and we headed back to the hotel. When we got back, I stripped JJ down to a diaper and put him in the baby cot (pack 'n play) provided by the hotel for some juice and a snack. That's when I found the GIANT hole in the side of the cot - the fabric on the side had come unattached to the bottom. It wasn't long before Jericho found it, too, and within minutes he was sitting on the mattress with his feet sticking out of the hole, slapping his feet on the tile floor! It was hilarious! That night, I just stuffed the blanket in the hole so he wouldn't slip out. He slept fine, even through the Easter celebration chanting that went on below our balcony around 11:00 that night.
The next morning, Michael had gone downstairs to check out the breakfast buffet while Jericho and I slept. I woke up to the sound of Jericho's feet on the floor, and figured he was having fun with his bed again. Then I heard him giggle. When I opened my eyes, I looked down at the bottom of the bed and he was standing there looking at me with the biggest, sneakiest grin on his face. Apparently the hole was bigger than I thought!
After breakfast we all got showers and headed to Florence. I wanted to try to find the statue of David, and Michael wanted to go back to the Museo Criminale - the Serial Killer Museum. After finding the Accademia where David is held and deciding not to stand in line in the sun for 45 minutes with a wiggly baby, we just started roaming with a taste for lunch in the back of our minds. I did get some pictures of the "fake" David outside the Uffizi (the art museum in Florence). One day I will see the real one! We found the famous Ponte Vecchio and took in the beautiful surroundings of the Arno River. I found a couple more souvenirs, like the laser-cut crystal I've been collecting - and Granny, your Florence coffee mug will be in the mail soon. We did go back to the Serial Killer Museum, but I didn't want to go in - if you know me, you know why - but I did roam the lobby and was fascinated with the small exhibit on Aileen Wornos. There's a dummy in the doorway dressed as Hannibal Lecter, so Jericho and I posed with him. That was enough for me. After an awesome lunch of lasagna, bruschetta with olive oil and tomatoes, white beans and salad, we walked a little more so I could take more pictures, and then we decided to call it a day. We got back in the car and made our way back to Ponte di Barbarano, getting in around 10 pm, road-weary and pooped!
Sunday we spent a couple hours at Michelle's house (see the blog An American Girl Abroad) for an Easter BBQ and an egg hunt. Jericho toddled around barefoot in the grass and was mesmerized by the glitter-filled Easter eggs. Michelle's husband Dustin cooked possibly the best lamb I've ever had, and we enjoyed watching the older children hunt for eggs and smash them on each other's heads.
It was a great weekend. Monday we spent the day at home and cleaned up my car and Michael's truck. I will have to post pics later since the memory card is in Michael's laptop, and that's at work with him today.
Now, for the news you've all been so patiently waiting for - we're coming home in July! Summer block leave is set for 1 July through 18 July, and Michael will be taking all of those days of leave. We haven't nailed down what days we're leaving/coming back, but I'll let everyone know when we do. We will be splitting the vacation between NC and Iowa so it will be short, but my dad will finally get to meet his grandson, and my sister will get to meet her nephew! I'm so excited but nervous about flying with a toddler. I will take any and all advice anyone can give me! I'm ready for homemade ice cream at Aunt Barbara's and fishing at Granny's pond. I'm ready for American malls, clothes that fit me, and people who speak English! I'm just ready. Period.
Ok, so here's the dreadful part of this post. It's already a novel, I know, but I need to let everyone know that tonight is the FRG meeting where we get information about the next deployment. I cannot and WILL NOT say where or when the deployment will be, but when we come home we'll let everyone know then. By that time we'll have a lot more information.
So that's all the dreadful I can take for one day.
We'll see you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment