Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Help Us Make a Kid's Day!

 Since Jericho first started Pre-K at the Early Childhood Center in Elgin, I've witnessed him grow in so many ways.  He's more social, and he's learned to share and participate in group activities.  His handwriting is 100 times better.  He colors (mostly) inside the lines.

And he's like, three feet taller.  I digress.

But the one thing that has exceeded my expectations the most is his teachers' willingness to work exclusively with Jericho to challenge him and expand his reading and vocabulary recognition.  I never expected the amount of attention and love he gets from his teachers, but it really warms my heart to watch him run - not walk - into his classroom every day, excited to see his friends and learn and play and grow.  It takes a lot for him to do that, so the fact that he rarely pauses to look back to tell me goodbye tells me that there's a lot of love in that classroom.  There's a lot of love in that tiny little school.

Which brings me to the point of this post.  Jericho's school also hosts Head Start programs, which is an income-based program for children.  In order to qualify for Head Start, which is free, the child's parents must earn an income below a certain amount.  Some of the children at his school are in both Head Start and Pre-K, so some of them are in Jericho's class.  They're his friends.  They're the ones I hear about in the car on the way home from school.

They are part of his memories.

A few weeks ago, the ECC distributed order forms for yearbooks for this school year.  Each book is $35, and parents also have the option to donate an extra $35 for a deserving ECC student.  When I saw the option to donate, I started thinking about all the kids at his school that wouldn't get a yearbook because their parents couldn't afford it.  I started brainstorming, and I found a neat website to start my own fundraiser to collect money for as many yearbooks as I can get and donate.

That's where you come in.  Jericho's friends and classmates are his first friends.  His first memories.  I'm sure the same is true for the other kids at the school.  If you can, help me reach my goal of $3,500 to donate 100 yearbooks so that every student gets one.  Every dollar helps, and every dollar is greatly appreciated!

Here's the link:

http://www.gofundme.com/2243b8

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

    - Emma

    emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete